Monday, 7 August 2017

Moment in Time- Writing To Describe

This week Room 9 have been writing to describe.
We used our five senses to describe a scene depicted in an image.
As we wrote, we included precise nouns, specific adjectives, powerful verbs and adverbs to enhance our descriptions.
We also worked on linking ideas using compound and complex sentences.
Here are some of our descriptive paragraphs based on the image below.


The Woods by Leroy
I stare at the twig, it is half broken. The leaves are degenerating. I can hear a tarantula slowly receding. I stare at a wild hare burrow its way into the soggy bark. The sun is a sliver. The wind is as strong as lightning. I can smell rotten berries. I hear birds swooping down and catching their prey. I hear black bears wrestling like savages in the distance. The vast land could fit hundreds of skyscrapers. Branches were scattered around the floor like a cold-blooded cat had been on a rampage of eating mice.

The Woods by Dylan
As I stare at the leaves trickling down to the ground, the sunlight gleams in my eyes. It is very damp so the tree bark rips off from the trunk. I can hear the birds chirping, with the grass swaying. I can see a chipmunk stealing a rotten berry as well as fighting with another. It is so muddy that it makes a squishy sound with each step. 

The Woods by Sauwarna
When I step in the dark, damp woods, a shiver comes around my whole body. But when I take another step and see some sunlight flash on me, I say 'there's nothing to be afraid of'. Then I hear an owl hoot from the tall trees. The berries in the woods taste rotten but smell like roses. I can see the trees branches swinging as if they are dancing. On the tree branches, the birds were singing and chirping. The wood was vast.

The Woods by Georgia
I stare at the gentle sunlight that is shining through the trees. The tall trees make a canopy above me. I hear the leaves swaying gently in the wind. I feel the tree bark roughly rubbing against my hand. I can hear birds chirping, making beautiful songs. The tall, itchy grass tickles me as I amble along. I feel scared as it gets darker. I smell berries as I walk along the receding path. The squirrels clamber up the trees, getting nuts. 

The Woods by Vrushti
As I creep into the dark woods, the sound of the wrestling wind gets louder. The birds are singing peaceful tunes while squirrels quietly clamber up the tall trees. I can feel the prickly, damp grass under my feet. The degenerated leaves are on the deep, muddy floor. The bright sun shines in between the large trees like fireworks in the sky. The tree branches are as dark as chocolate.

The Woods by Caroline
As the branches sway side to side, birds chirp and sing beautiful songs. I feel the prickly oak trees and amble along the wrecked path, scattered with twigs. I smell the rotten, old blackberries squished into dry mud, squirrels crawl over thick, breaking branches. As I stare, the glimmering sunlight spreads above the tree tops. Suddenly, eagles swoop through the blazing sunshine. I can see the diminutive ladybirds huddling under droopy leaves. As I stroll along the receding line of stones, I spy a red fungi that looks much like a tiny umbrella. 






3 comments:

  1. Great writing and great imaginations room 9. I loved reading about the bears, eagles and squirrels. Very evocative word choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful use of evocative words in your writing Room 9 and great imaginations too. I enjoyed all the bears, eagles and other birds and animals. :-)

    ReplyDelete